The Top 10 strangest team names in pro hockey history
Wednesday, 28 November 2007
No NHL teams. (Too familiar to be “strange.”) No junior teams. (Sorry, Lewiston MAINEiacs–you have to be able to drink in the US.) No teams with foreign-language names. (“Neftekhimik Nizhnekamsk” might look funny to North Americans, but so what? “Manchester Monarchs” looks funny to Russians.) No teams with regular animal or force-of-nature names. (Nice try, Amarillo Gorillas.) Click the team name links to view the logos. Here we go.
1. The Troy Uncle Sam Trojans: Is this actually what Uncle Sam wanted?
3. The Victoria Salmon Kings: They pwn the Tuna Princes.
6. The Macon Whoopee: Always got screwed by the refs.
9. The Renfrew Creamery Kings: Hall-of-Fame game, but not a great name.
10. Grizzly Adams Wolfsburg: Another German club. Why didn’t they go with David Hasselhoff Wolfsburg?